Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Balloon Fiesta

The International Balloon Fiesta was a couple weeks ago. It is a pretty amazing event. The largest hot air balloon event in the world, and it goes on for a week. Though really you can see at least a few hot air balloons above Albuquerque almost any early morning. The kids have not tired of it yet.

A few days before the fiesta, there was a balloon launch at Lola and Tigo's school. We went down to watch at the break of day. It was soooooo cold. But sooooo cool. We saw the whole thing up close. From rolling out the basket to spreading the balloon, filling it up with air and take off. It is no easy procedure to get everything going.

On the second day of the fiesta we went down to the Balloon Park to watch the mass lift off. How crazy. You can walk around up close to all the balloons. It all seemed to happen pretty fast too. Due to the weather, the day we went, the balloons didn't stay up long, but we did get to see at least a hundred in the sky at once. CRAZY!

Check below for pics.

I flew out of town a few days later for a wedding early one morning. I was lucky enough to be able to see a bunch of the balloons from my airplane window. What a site.

You know, it seems like it has got to use a ton of natural gas to power these things. I really don't know. I'm not sure I want to find out either, it might ruin it for me. So in the mean time. I will still be in awe.







No comments:

Post a Comment